Thursday, January 8, 2009

How I Created A Pr6 Authority Website Part 2

Writen by Anthony Fallon

And so we arrive into May with the site ready for launch. I'm all geared up, I have the site, the content, The link directory, the purchased Links, The articles, I've done my keyword research I've set up my Google Adwords Account for some instant traffic.

Now we're into May and every day I'm looking at the Stats to see how much traffic is coming in. In total I had 1774 total visits by the end of May of which over 900 were unique visitors giving a ratio of just under two visits for every visitor. Just as important Googlebot had hit the site 1900 times in the second half of May over a hundred and fifty visits on average every single day to index the content I was putting on. I was well impressed.

June. Still no page rank on the site but through my mastermind group at Content Desk I learned that Google only updates every three months or so. So I continue monitoring the traffic. It's in this month I see the enquiries arrive. The total visitors for the month more than double to over 4000 as do the number of unique visitors. It's during this month that I start to test various site monetisation methods learned through Content desk and start to see revenue from all the hard work put in. In addition I learned about press releases and prepared a big release to generate even more traffic for the site but that would have to wait until July. Because at the end of June I was introduced to Social Bookmarking A young wiz kid from Thailand, Sean Wu had developed a method of generating high PR links back to your website at no cost by bookmarking with the ever growing popularity of the Social networking sites and he distributed this information through the Content Desk membership. So that was June wrapped up. A very successful month with indexing and backlinks to the site growing at a tremendous rate. As at the end of June there were 16,000 backlinks to the site. I thought that was excellent but the end of July I saw the number of backlinks take off exponentially.

July. Quite a shock this month - income and revenue from the site was up but visitor numbers dropped below 4000, then I remembered that people with normal jobs took holidays at this time of the year so I didn't feel too bad. But I think it would have been a lot worse if I hadn't done my press release during the month. I honestly didn't expect much from the press release because I made the assumption that very few people would be interested in my story

My Press release stats were as follows. Reads 87,195 This number tells you how many times your press release was accessed from our site and other distribution points where we have the ability to measure traffic. This number does not include the number of journalists who have received your release through email. In addition there are online distribution points that we currently have no ability to track. This number does include RSS measurements.

Estimated Pickup 1,039 This number estimates the number of times your press release was accessed by a consumer / media person. This does not tell you how many times your story appears on other websites, blogs, or in the media. It simply attempts to estimate interest in your release.

14 This is the number of times that someone has printed your press release. We measure this by the number of times that the "printer friendly version" link is pressed. In reality, only a small percentage of users actually click this link before printing a release.

PDF Downloads 60 The number of times your release was downloaded as a PDF document. PDF Downloads may be reflected in "Reads" and "Estimated Pickup" statistics.

As part of the Press release I even did a podcast just for the experience. You should produce a press release at least once a month.

With the holiday season in full swing perhaps I should have saved the release until September and gave up the traffic. You live and learn.

I can't remember the exact timing but it was at the end of July I received My PR6 page rank from Google. Page Rank (often denoted PR) is a quantity defined by Google that provides a rough estimate of the overall importance of a web page.

And so we enter August with a high page rank and plenty of traffic that's generating revenue. Does the education stop there? No! August has brought me RSS Feeds, Content Press, PheedPress, subdomains for Authority sites and a complete overview of RPM. Research, Publish, Market.

Wash, Rinse and Repeat.

If you made it this far I hope you've enjoyed my journey in setting up my first Authority Website - and if you can take one thing from this it's that you should ignore all those advertisements that promise a lot for very little effort. To be successful you need to surround yourself with successful people and form or join a mastermind group. This is a loose quote from the 1930's book think and grow rich by Napoleon Hill it's still relevant almost eighty years on. Read it!

As for my successful PR6 Authority site you will have to visit our site to get the link

Copyright 2006 Warrington Web Works

Anthony Fallon is an Internet Consultant and Publisher. He can be contacted through his website www.warringtonwebworks.com

No comments: